Wednesday 5 May 2010

Internet Explorer losing more market share - web devs rejoice!

I've read a number of reports today detailing that IE's overall market share in the browser market has dipped below 60% for the first time.

This is undoubtedly good news for web developers and designers who are trying to adhere to open standards. Microsoft, to their credit, have come along way on that front, and are at last trying (or being forced) to come over from the Dark Side.

I'm by no means a Microsoft-basher. In fact, I make my living using Micosoft technologies. I think they make a lot of top class products and I know that Microsoft engineers are some of the best in the world. However, in a monopolistic market, creativity is definitely affected, that's just the nature of business.

Google's high-profile advertising campaign for Chrome has, I think, caught everyone by surprise (chrome's market share is at 7% after jsut a couple of years) and this has on some level raised the awareness of the everyday user to the fact that there are alternatives to IE. Microsoft's next hurdle will be competing with chrome's performance without compromising security.

Hopefully then, with a more competitive field, the power will be leaning more toward the developers, with browser makers using the same standards. I look forward to the day when I can get more development done, because I only have to test once.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10095730.stm

No comments: